Monday, April 11, 2011

What do you Love Most about your Parents? | MuslimMatters.org

Assalamu Alaykum


I stumbled upon this article, when I really should be studying for Saturday's exam. It brought me to tears - take a look

Reader’s Opinion: What do you Love Most about your Parents? | MuslimMatters.org

I don't know if I mentioned it earlier, but my relationship with my mother isn't exactly pleasant. It has been up and down and full of pain. I have been trying so hard to improve it on my part, but it has a long way to go especially because of the lack of trust I have. But Inshallah, with the help of Allah, I can be a good daughter despite the pain I have in my heart. I have spent so many nights in tears, both tears of pain and tears of regret that we are not as close as we should be, as well as tears for the guidance from Allah. I never really felt the love and support from my mother. I know the love is there, my mum's just not the nurturing, sensitive type of women. I do believe she has tried her best. She's had a tough life and she it left her ill both physically and psychologically. But my heart is still aching for that support.

But as I said, I am doing the best on my part to mend the relationship. I have always felt that I had to be the grown up in this family. But I love her unconditionally and I am so grateful for all that she she has done for us and all the sacrifices she has made.

These are some hints I took from the article above. I really recommend reading it.

A few reminders:


1- Make duaa for your parents, all the time. You can raise their rank in Paradise.


On the authority of Abu Hurayrah may Allah be pleased with him who said, The Prophet may Allah’s Peace and Blessings be upon him and his family said: “Indeed A person’s status will be raised in Paradise and he will ask, ‘How is this for me?’ He will be told, ‘By your child’s seeking forgiveness for you.” (Ibn Majah, Authentic according to al-Albani)


2- Many of us may not have the best relationship with our parents. Although our parents may be in the wrong sometimes, at the end of the day, it is a part of being Muslim to treat them with the best of manners and in the best way. This life is too short to give our parent’s attitude. Don’t wait until you see your parents carried out of the masjid in a box to realize how much better they deserved from you.



3- One of the salaf was seen crying after his mother died. Those around him asked him why he was crying because his mother was righteous. He responded that he is crying because the largest gate of Jannah just closed for him. Don’t wait until that largest gate of Jannah is closed in your face to realize how easy it could have been to enter through it.


4- Make duaa for the guidance of the non-Muslim parents of our brothers and sisters. This reminder from Abu Taubah will give us – those with Muslim parents – a glimpse of what they may go through



5- If your parents have passed away (may Allah have mercy on all the deceased Muslims), you can still honor them. See reminder #1 


Salam... 


P.S. please honour your parents