Wednesday, June 22, 2011

"Go back to where you came from" Reflections

Asalamu Alaykum

I have been watching the SBS series "Go back to where you came from" - a show about Australians going through the journey of many refugees. Today is the 2nd installment and I have been crying since the show began.

It's just so sad to see all those people go through this. All the pain and fear they are going through it's just oh so sad. And the thing is, I went through that. It was just a small speck in my memory, almost forgotten. And now I have been blessed with so much, but it never got through to me. I live in peace, I have a safe home, safe food, my family is safe, I never go hungry, I can sleep without fear for myself or my family. I have a bright future, even if I live a 'poor' life - I am rich. And Inshallah when I have children I they too will have it all.

All I can say is Alhamdulillah. I have been blessed with so much. Oh Allah please forgive me for all the times I complain. Oh Allah forgive me for being ungrateful. Thank You for all the things You have blessed me with. Forgive my ignorance of Your blessings.

Oh Allah bless these people. Oh Allah ease their suffering and grant them the highest station in Jannah.

I see them and all they have is their bodies and their families. Nothing else is certain. Yet I see a smile on their face. They go through it all with patience and Allah in their heart. Ya Allah please give them Jannah.

Men, women and children - all they want is to be safe and to sleep at night without fear. They are just people. With hearts and dreams just like you and I. It's shocking how they are treated like criminals. And then at the end of all that pain they finally get to Australia and they get treated like dirt. Oh Allah bless them in this world and the hereafter and grant them Jannah.


What an amazing show. Although, it frustrates me to hear some people being so naive and selfish unfortunately there are a lot of people in this society that share her views. I hope this programme is viewed by the masses and it can help to open their eyes a little and break down their ignorance Inshallah. When are people going to realise that at the end of the day we are all human beings no matter what race, colour, and cultural beliefs and we all deserve to be treated humanely!


You can view the episodes online HERE